Running out of space

What is the difference between assisted living retirement... Assisted living generally refers to having nursing or support staff on hand within the retirement living premises to ...
Read more

What else do I need to consider about Lifestyle Block farming?

When considering lifestyle block farming, make sure you understand all Council and local planning guidelines around zoning, permitted land uses, animal welfare and land care (including the control of noxious weeds & pests). Your local Council should be able to answer any specific questions.
You’ll also need to think about:
  • Lifestyle Block Infrastructure – Does the property have the fences, sheds, water pumps, dams, drains, bores, irrigation, water supply, tanks, house and general infrastructure that you’ll need? If not, how expensive will it be to add these, ensuring that each item is Council approval?
  • Soil and Water – Are recent soil and water quality test results available? If not, request these to ensure they meet your required standard - or hire a soil Engineer to undertake independent tests for you. If soil or water quality does not meet Council standards, you'll need to factor in the costs to rectify
  • Markets – Are you planning on transporting livestock or produce to local markets? Consider the distance and costs involved
  • Land Care – Weeds and pest infestations can be expensive to eradicate. Check neighbouring properties, access roads, adjoining state forests and water sources to assess conditions. Hire a land care or farming specialist to give you advice if you are in any doubt.  A little money spent up front can save a whole lot of money later on
Back to questions