Mould spores are always present in the air around us which is why it is so important to keep your home properly ventilated.
As simple plants belonging to the fungi group, these tiny aviators need moisture in the air and are always on the lookout for a nice enclosed area in your home where ventilation is poor. That’s why cupboards and wardrobes often present the ideal moisture and temperature combination environment for mould and mildew to thrive.
To combat mould, you need to reduce moisture levels, consider insulation and increase ventilation.
Ideally, start by opening the windows to create cross ventilation regularly. This is the most energy efficient and inexpensive approach. Too cold? Alright, but open the windows just a little. Remember, the important thing is to keep air moving.
Next, check what’s going on with insulation. Insulation prevents heat loss from walls and ceilings, thereby keeping a room warmer. When the walls and ceiling are warmer, moisture is less likely to condense on these surfaces, so your home is kept dryer.
Alternatively, another common method is to use an electric dehumidifyer. Most hardware and department stores can recommend the appropriately sized unit for your affected room.
Other areas that mould and mildew really enjoy are closets and the clothes they contain. As moulds grow they cause considerable damage. Mildew secretes an enzyme that decomposes organic matter and uses it for growth and reproduction. It often leaves a musty odour in clothes and causes unsightly black stains and rot.
One well-tested and successful method is to place a small low wattage electric light globe, say between 40 and 60 watts. The dry heat prevents mildew and mould growth although this can be expensive.
Many people prefer to buy chemical dehumidifyers at the supermarket or hardware store. These small plastic buckets contain refillable mineral salts that absorb moisture, collecting it below in a small reservoir that you need to empty periodically.
< Back to Tenant Information